Sunday, February 1, 2015

Elephants of Indian Epics: Styles Brainstorm

Elephants of Indian Epics: Styles Brainstorm

Topic: My Storybook will be about Elephants in Indian Epics. My goal is to look into four different elephants in Indian Epics and write stories about each. I know that I want to write about Ganesha, Airavata, and perhaps about some elephants from the Buddhist stories known as the jataka tales. One story from the jataka tales I would like to use is The Patient Elephant, and perhaps The Kings White Elephant. It should be easy to find stories about different elephants considering how important they are in Indian culture. I believe the Mahabharata is another source I can use to find such stories. The stories I choose will be the ones that I find to be most interesting.

Bibliography: 

1. Narayan, R. K. (1978). The Mahabharata.
2. Buck, William (1973). Mahabharata.
3. Stories about elephants from Bhuddist Jataka tales

Possible Styles:

1. Animals as storytellers - I think this would be a great style to write the storybook in because it gives access to the elephants thoughts (especially if they cannot speak). It would be very interesting to peer into the minds of the various elephants.

2. Bedtime stories told to children - I think there is something powerful about a bedtime story heard by a child with an open mind. Perhaps I could even have some commentary from the child interrupting the story as it's being told! The stories could have morals to them that help the child, or could just simply be for entertainment.

3. Written by Ganesha - For someone else to tell the stories about elephants, it seems appropriate that an elephant headed God do the telling. If I end up choosing this style I could give Ganesha's point of view on the specific elephants and their actions, but I wouldn't necessarily be able to choose a story about Ganesha.

4. Adventure/Journey - A neat storytelling style would be to devise a journey that takes place involving several different elephants. The elephants I choose could all end up crossing paths and partaking in an epic journey. The central character of the journey would most likely be Ganesha, who would encounter other elephants along the way!


Ganesha, the elephant headed god  

No comments:

Post a Comment