Thursday, February 19, 2015

Week 6 Storytelling: The Sentry of Lanka

Week 6 Storytelling: The Sentry of Lanka

We have been standing guard at the gates of Lanka for an entire day without sleep. This war has put an intense strain on the Rakshasa, but it is finally over. Today for two hours Indrajit bombarded Rama’s forces and wiped out countless warriors. Moments ago it was discovered that Rama himself was among the fallen, which means an end to this dreaded war. Among the fallen a few animals remains, but there is no hope for their army. The Rakshasa are finally safe.

It has now been several hours since Indrajit's attack. Ravana is asleep, but I will surely be rewarded for my service when he awakes. Perhaps I will be promoted from the simple position of sentry! Wait... What is that? There is a faint glow, and steam is flowing through the air. Is that a shooting star? No, that is medicine hill flying through the air! How is this possible!? Hanuman survived Indrajit's attack. Now Trijata is approaching with Sita and several Rakshasa. I must stop them from seeing this sight. Ravana cannot hear of the fallen rising through gossip. I must tell him directly.

Hanuman carrying Medicine Hill
"Let me pass to the edge of the wall," Trijata yelled as she and Sita walked towards me.

My efforts to block them were in vain. Sita slipped past as Trijata grabbed my shoulders, holding me in place.

"I see him! I see Rama! He is standing up as if from a deep slumber," Sita said. You could hear the joy in her voice. It is clear how deep this woman's love is for Rama.

Trijata, who also managed to get past me, now sees the scene unfolding. She was shocked by the great deeds that Hanuman did saying "how can Hanuman perform such incredible feats?"

Sita replied simply, "His love for Rama is great. With such great love nothing is impossible."

Word of the army being brought back would spread quickly through the city. I had to tell Ravana myself, no matter if it costs me my life.

As I rush towards Ravana's palace I begin to grow fearful. He finally slept peacefully knowing Rama was defeated. How can I be the one to end that peace? How will he react? The guards to Ravana's chambers look at me knowing I bear bad news.

"Ravana woke up moments ago, he will be out soon. We will leave to give you privacy with him Sentry," the guard said.

Both walked off. I can't help but think they are escaping a fate worse than death; disappointing the king of the Rakshasas. Ravana emerged from his chamber and saw me. I must have looked as if I came bearing bad news because his expression immediately became grim.

"What do you report sentry?" Ravana said. His voice boomed like a roll of thunder, even when speaking normally.

"King Ravana, it's Rama. He.. He lives," I managed to get the words out.

Ravana's expression did not change. He was silent for a moment and he simply turned around and returned to his room. Soon he emerged wearing armor as if he was ready to go to war. I couldn't let him act irrationally. I have brought him bad news, but I refuse to be the cause of his death.

"Ravana, I urge you to command a force against Rama once more, but please do not fight." I pleaded.

"Sentry, do you not understand?" He replied. "Sita will never love me as long as Rama lives."

Then an idea struck me. Perhaps I can use his love for Sita to dissuade him from going to battle. I replied, "Yes sir, but Sita may never forgive you if you kill Rama. Surely Indrajit can repeat his incredible feat and slay Rama once more."

"Perhaps you are right," Ravana said as he walked off.

His silence is worse than any reaction I could have expected. I fear for him. What thoughts race through his mind? How will he react? If Indrajit cannot defeat the army, surely Ravana will lead an attack. I will return to my post, but I fear the worst for this war and our king.

Author's Note:

I felt that the best way to show this chain of events was to tell the story using one of the sentries. By doing this I was able to use the sentry's thoughts, as well as dialogue from other characters such as Sita, Trijata and Ravana. In the original story Trijata and Sita simply see Hanuman carrying Medicine Hill, and when Ravana wakes up one of the sentries tells him that Rama is alive. There is no dialogue between Ravana and the sentry, and no reaction from Ravana. I used this opportunity to fill it in with my own idea of what could have happened. Ravana seems like one who doesn't become visibly angry, but instead internalizes and simply acts irrationally, but in a seemingly calm manner. His silence when the sentry reports the news is very important because it shows that Ravana is simply taking it in, and is so angry inside that he cannot say a word. He resorts to action, and immediately dons his armor to go kill Rama himself. Obviously in Buck's Ramayana, first Indrajit attacks again, so I had to use the sentry to speak some sense into Ravana. Surely the Rakshasas wouldn't want their king to go into a fight in which they had lost so many great warriors, so I used the sentry as a voice of the Rakshasas. He then convinces Ravana to go to Indrajit once more rather than attack Rama himself.

Bibliography:

1) Buck, William (1976). Ramayana: King Rama's Way.

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely loved that you did your story from different people's thoughts. I have done that in my storytelling a few times, and it is a really great read. I like your image of Hanuman as well. Your story was so detailed and the imagery flowed effortlessly in my mind. I especially liked that you utilized Ravana's silence as another way to show his character. Overall, I enjoyed your writing and story! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brandon! Great story. I love that the beginning started off with thinking that Rama is dead and then Hanuman comes out with the medicine hill and everyone realizes he’s still alive. I also really enjoy that the overall message of your story was that true love and loyalty can conquer all evil. Thanks for sharing such a great story!

    ReplyDelete