Saturday, April 18, 2015

Week 14 Reading Diary A: The End of the War

This reading was much less intense then last weeks, but still had a fair amount of battle and death. It was such a relief to see Duryodhana defeated, but it was very frustrating to see Ashwatthaman become the leader of his army. To me it seemed like Ashwatthaman was operating solely out of rage and revenge, and that seems like a poor person to put in charge of an entire army! Ashwatthaman ends up wiping out basically the entire Pandava army (besides the brothers), and it led to the war being stirred back up once more! I really enjoyed reading about the war taking place in the previous reading, but at this point I wasn't really enjoying it anymore. Ashwatthaman was stoking a flame that could have easily died out, and the war ended. I'm glad my favorite character Arjuna came in with his incredible weapons to take on Ashwatthaman for the final fight. Arjuna is able to cancel out Ashwatthaman's weapon and Vyasa and Krishna recall the weapons and the war ends up finally coming to an end. There are funerals for all the powerful men that died in the war which really bummed me out because I felt like the war was so pointless in the first place!

Bhima defeating Duryodhana

1 comment:

  1. I've never actually noticed how other people wrote out their reading diaries but this is interesting. I've had mine in bullet-point form the entire time but paragraph form would have been something I would have liked to try. It was actually towards the start of the semester that I saw an example of a reading diary to try and understand how to do it and I saw one with bullet points so I just went with that. I'm wondering if most people have it in paragraph form or bullet points or perhaps something entirely different.

    ReplyDelete