Thursday, January 15, 2015

Storybook Favorites

My Storybook Favorites


I initially chose to look at this story book simply because the title caught my interest. After reading into the introduction I grew even more interested. I am not familiar with any Indian mythology, and the story the introduction laid seemed like a good read. The introduction gave a good outline of what would be in the storybook, and was written very well. The layout of this storybook is also very neat, easy to read and well organized. This was definitely my favorite of the several I looked through.


Once again, this topic is unfamiliar to me because I have no prior knowledge of Indian mythology, but the concept of strength and struggle interested me. The cover page of this story book is very interesting, and definitely caught my attention and led me to read through the introduction. I really like how the introduction is written in the voice of Durga, rather than in third person. The emotional connection of Durga with the women in the story is really touching and drew me in to read this storybook. The introduction was written very well, and had a good flow to it that made it easy to read. The layout of this storybook is very similar to that of Epic Brothers.It was easy to read, easy to navigate and looked very presentable.
Image from the cover page of Tales of Strength and Struggles

This last storybook I chose to look at because the title once more drew me in. Initially the layout threw me off a little. It’s fairly cluttered and is difficult to read, but not impossible. The cover page picture didn’t draw my interest as much as the previous two storybooks, but I chose to read the introduction simply because I thought the topic was interesting. I had chosen one topic that had to do with brotherhood and loss, one topic to do with struggle and making it through, so I felt like a topic to do with love and perseverance would be a good third choice. The introduction of this storybook didn’t flow as well as the previous two, but was still written well and wasn’t difficult to read. The concepts of Indian mythology such as karma, and perception of the afterlife was interesting and the imagery present throughout the introduction kept my attention.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Brandon! You chose some really great Indian stories to look over. I too have no knowledge over Indian mythology, but strength and struggle are always great to read over because we all go through them regularly. The story over Every Lover a Soldier will be interesting to read because it is more traditional and harder to read. I accidentally wrote over the wrong subject (Myth-Folklore) so I am unable to compare the Indian Epics that I chose in comparison to yours, however, once I fix my mistake I am excited to compare!

    ReplyDelete
  2. For my extra credit blog posts this week I decided to look at your storybook favorites post and picked the tales of epic love storybook because I'm thinking about doing a love story theme for my storybook and I haven't looked at one yet to get a feel for it. Honestly, I don't agree that it's really cluttered. I would have picked either one navigation method or the other, rather than both, but it doesn't necessarily look hard to navigate to me. The text was kind of hard to read though and I didn't really like that some of it was written in another language. I really enjoyed the introduction and thought it was a cute way to hear the love stories, but I admit to feeling a little cheated that I didn't get to hear the third girl's story, so I definitely think that the author should have gone back and edited her out of the introduction and other stories when she decided not to tell her story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Brandon! I also looked over “Every Lover a Soldier” and I was also dissatisfied with the overall layout. As Amber said, I also thought the font was difficult to read and I was really annoyed not to be able to read the third girls’ story! I also looked over “Tales of Strength and Struggles” which I enjoyed. I thought the layout was presented much more clearly, and I loved the pictures throughout the site. I also liked how the author addressed the ridiculous way society had treated the women, given their situations.

    ReplyDelete