Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Writing Review Week

Writing Review Week

I have never been a strong writer, so initially I was dreading how much writing I would have to do in this class. I took it on with the mindset of "I can't get better unless I write more," which helped me keep trying. Initially I felt like the content of my stories was pretty good, but my writing style wasn't. I also knew that I had trouble with grammar, and big issues with punctuation and quotes. The biggest eye opener for me was the proofreading assignment as well as my introduction for my storybook! I sent in the email with my intro and got a response that showed me a mistake in almost every other sentence! My biggest accomplishment thus far would be the huge improvement between my introduction and my first story in my storybook. I had far fewer mistakes, and the content was still very rich. I have really grown to enjoy writing and storytelling from this course.

I have always had a fairly active imagination so coming up with ideas isn't usually a great struggle. For story telling posts I would just choose a topic that interests me and then place myself in the characters shoes. If I was in their mind how would I think, what actions would I take, etc. That helped me write several interesting stories from the view of a certain character through their mind, or a diary entry. If I chose to write a story in third person it was a bit different, and perhaps took a little more creativity. I would simply take the story and mold it into my own by changing details I thought would benefit by being altered from the original story! This was simply my opinion though, and may not have reflected what others would have written. 
Picture from my storytelling about Maricha (Written in diary form)
The feedback I have received has been incredibly helpful to my writing. I have learned a lot about integrating quotes into my text, and writing in a style that flows much better. All of the experience I've gotten from writing for this course has really helped my creativity as well because I have to continue coming up with new stories each week! I am very exciting for the storytelling posts based off of the Mahabharata, as well as the next 3 stories for my story book.

2 comments:

  1. Brandon, I am right there with you! I haven’t written anything in so long and was not looking forward to how much we were going to have to write for this class. I have definitely changed my mind though. The writing has been getting easier by the week and it has been pretty enjoyable. It really is a nice break from all of my other classes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brandon, I completely agree with you on having grammar issues and proofreading! I always feel like what I am writing makes sense to everyone else so the proofreading assignment was a big eye opener for me too. I really like the image you chose for your post as well! It has been nice having this class to help our writing over this semester because it makes the storytelling posts that much more exciting to create!

    ReplyDelete