Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Week 9 Reading Diary B: Yudhishthira's Gambling Problem and the Pandavas' Exile

Week 9 Reading Diary B: Yudhishthira's Gambling Problem and the Pandavas' Exile

I have really enjoyed reading the Mahabharata thus far. This reading really gave me a view into what a few of the different Pandava brothers are really like. Firstly Yudhishthira was crowned as king after the Pandavas recieve the great city of Indraprastha, which showed me that he was the most respected of the brothers. This made me see him as a man of great honor which really caused the next part of the story to surprise me. After Duryodhana was embarrassed at Indraprastha he began plotting his revenge on the Pandavas. His uncle Sakuni, a cunning gambler, invited Yudhishthira to play dice. The part that surprised me the most was that Yudhishthira was sucked in and staked everything the Pandavas owned including servants, women and even their shared wife Draupadi! I don't understand how a man could so clearly lose his mind and stake everything like that, but what confuses me even more his how his brothers stood by and watched! They very easily could have intervened after they lost all their treasures, or all their servants, or all their livestock. Yet they simply stood by and watched all their wealth, and even themselves, get staked!
Yudhishthira gambling
It seemed odd to me that the brothers stood by and watched, but it also made me a little frustrated with Sakuni and Duryodhana. They clearly knew Yudhishthira had lost his way and they continued to take advantage of him. They were very deceptive and were obviously seeking an end for the Pandavas. I was relieved when Dhiritarashtra returned everything Yudhishthira lost, it made me truly see him as a man of honor (even though he returned everything based out of fear!). Sakuni was annoyed that Dhiritarashtra restored everything to the Pandavas and once more held a gambling tournament. Yudhishthira agreed once more, and ended up causing the Pandavas to be exiled for twelve years! I truly don't understand how one man can essentially stake the lives of his brothers and they just stand by and agree. It seems so foolish, and immoral! After losing that stake the Pandavas are forced into exile, and I grew to admire the brothers Bhima and Arjuna because they are mighty warriors and possess great skill with weapons. My favorite part of this reading was actually when Arjuna went to receive weapons from the gods because it is such an incredible thing to imagine! I really enjoyed this reading and can't wait to read more into the Mahabharata!

No comments:

Post a Comment